Skip to content

Catch Me, I’m Falling!

April 23, 2015

off the ledgeThis week has been a whirlwind, but then again, what week isn’t? If you have a kid, a pet, a partner, or a life, I think you know what I’m talking about. There’s always someone or something whining for your attention.

And if that weren’t bad enough, I had a couple of days filled with paralyzing fear. Not the “I can’t leave the house” kind (although, I have experienced that once or twice before). Nope, this was the “My writing sucks. My characters REALLY suck because they’re talking to me but I’m not understanding them. I give up. I’ll never be any good. I wonder if McDonald’s is hiring.”

This particular episode of writer angst was brought on by none other than my beloved editor, Sandra. She wasn’t so loved while I was wallowing in self-doubt. She had stated in her edit of chapter four, “I just want YOU, the author, to consider what you really want for these characters, their early and later relationships and how all that fits the overall plot… However, I am not sure YOU have these aspects really in mind and, if so, that you know how you plan to use them in the later plot.”

Then I read “Why You Should Hate Your Editor” and everything became crystal clear. I wasn’t really mad at her or hating on her. I was stuck, frustrated and lost. But once I sat my happy ass down (after my three day pity-party) and started to work through all of her comments, I realized she was 100% right on target. One of my main characters was all over the place and I hadn’t nailed him down yet. Her comments weren’t personal. And they weren’t meant to hurt me. She’s pushing me to write the best story I can.

Sandra has told me on several occasions, and usually after she’s read a chapter revision, that she knows that I can do it. “You just have to whip those Doubt Demons into shape occasionally along the path to authorship. Talent, ability and guts– yes, you DO have them!” She knows exactly when to push me to fly. And she knows exactly when to talk me off of the ledge. A good editor will do that.

Weekly Word Count: 2639

Weekly Goal: Um…write something. I have to figure out which rocks to throw at one of my characters in chapter six.

Favorite Part of My WIP:

“I’m Devon Jaxx. I was lucky enough to have been arrested for drunk and disorderly about a week ago. Personally, I think it’s because I’m better looking than this rogue Prince Brian person.”

“Well hell, then I’ll never see the light of day again,” Adam joked, eliciting a loud guffaw from Devan.

“Sounds like we’re both burned. What do people call you?”

“You mean besides ‘asshole?’ Adam Whitley. I was picked up for being one of the good guys. But it was all a mistake. I’m perfectly innocent and far from being a good guy.”

Weekly Cool Writing Site: Upgrade Your Story – Lots and lots of advice from a professional editor and author coach. She also features interviews with authors.

Quote of the week:

116977-Professional+writers+quotes+wrWhat I’m Reading: Still reading “Island in the Sea of Time.” It’s a HUGE book, ok?! Over 600 pages. At least I’m halfway through it. And it’s GOOD. I’ve been toying with the idea of doing book reviews, so don’t be surprised if they start to pop up here on the blog.

Conclusion: This week has been an emotional roller coaster, writing wise. But that’s to be expected. If writing was easy, everyone would be doing it, right?

15 Comments leave one →
  1. April 23, 2015 4:39 am

Hang in there, Terrye. It’s good to have someone who’s not too close to you, someone who can hold you accountable and tell you what you need to hear, when you need to hear it.

Liked by 1 person

• April 23, 2015 4:41 am

Yes it is and I’m very thankful I found her. She’s exactly what I needed. 😀

2. April 23, 2015 2:58 pm

UGH, the editing process can be incredibly draining and traumatic, right? Even when I thought I was prepared, having read a gazillion things about how hard it is to hear criticism, I still reeled when I got mine MS back covered in red marks. YOU CAN DO THIS TERRYE. If I can do it, anyone can. You’re so talented. SO. Just keep moving forward. I believe in you.

• April 23, 2015 4:52 pm

You are so right, no matter how prepared you are, seeing your MS bleeding to death is gut wrenching!

I take that as a huge compliment coming from you. You are mega talented, my friend! 😀 And I see many future successes for you! ❤

3. April 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks (I think?) for hating me on occasion, Terrye. I’m glad to talk you off the ledge, any old time. But the hard–and invigorating–part is having you peer over that edge, to see the dizzying heights that any writer faces when they create a world of their own, people with fascinating characters and troubled with intricate twists. But, oh, that is SO stimulating too! For both of us. I’m glad to be there holding your hand in the process.

As for seeing your MS bleed to death, we won’t ever let that happen. But a little strategic blood-letting here and there will simply purify the entire body of the work. Enjoy writing your next chapters–I’m looking forward to “what happens next”!

Liked by 1 person

• April 25, 2015 12:33 am

Sandra, if I wasn’t hating on you from time to time, you weren’t doing your job, right? 😀

I *used* to be afraid of heights until I was literally held over the ledge a couple of times. ROTC summer camps and yes, I was wearing rappelling stuffs, thought I’m sure there was an instructor or two that would have been happy to push me off without it. And it is very invigorating once the paralyzing fear passes. That’s when you can appreciate the view. I’m really thrilled to have you helping me.

Knowing that you are on the receiving end of my first draft makes me try to mind my p’s and q’s instead of just plopping whatever on a page and shipping it off. Did I mention I was afraid of leaches?

You mean, you don’t know what happens next either?! LOL

4. April 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Just keep at it. Write a little at a time, or when creativity strikes. Even writing a blog is tough at times. I think frustration is part of being a writer.

• May 9, 2015 4:34 pm

Thank you, Phil! I think you are completely correct. The best is to just work through it and not stop. 😀

5. May 1, 2015 1:39 pm

Great post! Good to “meet” and I look forward to reading more posts!

6. May 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Very interesting post, editing is such a nightmare, certainly identify with what you say here.

• May 17, 2015 10:56 pm

I think I’m looking forward to editing. Only because I’ve never completed a manuscript and gotten to the editing part.

Liked by 1 person

• May 18, 2015 6:55 am

Oh, the editing is hard work, but finding a publisher/agent is even harder. Sigh….

• May 18, 2015 7:43 pm

I keep telling myself not to worry about that part just yet. Just worry about getting the WIP done. THEN I can worry about all the other stuff. 😀

Liked by 1 person